Alternative Ways to Treat Sleep Apnea
There are many causes for sleep apnea, including obesity and obstructed air passages. Its symptoms are loud snoring sounds that are sometimes interrupted by a few seconds (or minutes) of lapses in breathing. The silence is often followed by loud gasps for air until regular breathing resumes.
Sufferers of sleep apnea often have trouble functioning during the day and may fall asleep at their desks or even while driving a car. This extreme tiredness often leads to depression, high blood pressure, loss of memory, and impotency. That’s why a swift diagnosis is so important and why those who suffer from sleep apnea must change their lifestyle immediately.
Here are some ways to prevent and even cure sleep apnea:
- Weight Loss – If you’re overweight and suffering from sleep apnea, begin a diet program that will normalize your weight. You should also eliminate sugar and all allergenic foods from your diet.
- Exercise – Even a mild form of exercise, such as yoga and stretching, will help to alleviate sleep apnea. Walking or any type of aerobic exercises is also an effective remedy. Practice deep breathing exercises to help clean your air passages.
- 5-HTP – The neurotransmitter, 5-hydroxy-tryptophan (5-HTP) is a compound used to regulate serotonin levels. Research shows that if serotonin levels are too low, sleep apnea may occur. 5-HTP also helps release hormones such as cortisol which regulates muscles used for breathing.
- Avoid Alcohol – Drugs such as sleeping pills and alcohol may relax the throat muscles, causing breathing obstructions. When you eliminate alcohol, oxygen levels in the blood are increased and a deeper sleep is possible.
- Practice Good Sleeping Habits – Don’t sleep on your back. Use pillows to elevate your head and shoulders. Sleeping on your back can sometimes cause your tongue to block an air passage and cause sleep apnea symptoms.
- Aromatherapy – Although aromatherapy isn’t a cure-all for sleep apnea, aromatic oils from plants and herbs such as nutmeg, lavender and orange can reduce the more severe effects of sleep apnea.
“Apnea” is the Greek word for “without breath.” When you succeed in regulating how you breathe when sleeping, sleep apnea will be a thing of the past and you’ll be more relaxed, rested and ready to meet the world.